There is no feeling like holding your world in your arms. Bringing a newborn into this world is one of the most blissful experiences. Nature, by its very essence, heals us. Ayurveda is one of the oldest, and trusted therapy that transpires from nature. It treasures priceless knowledge about natural babycare rituals that are both simple and effective.
Let's see some valuable inventories of ancient Ayurvedic rituals for newborns.
kaumarabhritya: baby care as per Ayurveda!
Baby care rituals:-
Breast milk detox: Stanya Shodhana
Breastfeeding is a pivotal part of child care postpartum. Similarly, it helps to develop a powerful bond between the mom and the child. Mother's milk furnishes the essential nutrition, stimulates immunity, lowers the risk of diseases, and improves the IQ level of the child.
According to Ayurveda, a child does not need any nutrition apart from mother’s milk till 6 months of age. This is the reason why Ayurveda stresses on improving the quality and quantity of breast milk.
Ayurveda classifies the breastmilk on the basis of its quality and quantity. Breast milk is not the perfect food everytime. If the mother has dosha imbalance then the breast milk may produce respective dosha imbalance in the child also.
Ayurveda offers numerous herbal remedies and therapies for correcting the dosha balance in the new mothers. It also helps to improve the overall quality and quality of breastmilk.
Ideally, new mothers can use herbs like ashwagandha, turmeric, licorice, vacha to detoxify the breatst milk. Ashwagandha, turmeric, amla and rose petal powder help to balance all dosha and is a great choice for all body types. Ginger works wonders for both vata and kapha dosha. Licorice is a great choice for pitta imbalance.
Baby massage: Shishu Abhyanga
Early years are the best years for physical growth and Ayurveda can ensure a sooth growth journey for the babies with the ancient tradition of Ayurvedic massage.
AyurvedicBaby Hydrating and Soothing Skin Booster for babies is infused with the goodness of Sesame, Almond Oil, triphala and many more herbs.
Steps for Ayurvedic baby massage
- With the newborn lying on its back, begin the massage with the crown.
- Gently put 2-3 ml of virgin coconut oil over the palm of your hand and the head in a circular motion 3–4 times.
- Massage the ears, face, and feet in a gentle circular motion. Then move over to other body parts: hands, shoulders, chest, abdomen, and legs.
- A good 10 minutes of massage will be sufficient for the babies until the 3rd month. Gradually, you can go up to 30 minutes.
Use of Herbal Powders: Shishu Udhvartana
The gentle baby skin needs protection from rashes, esp. In the bottom area. Dusting with talc after bath may help to absorbs the sweat and protect the baby skin from infections, rashes and itching. But, most of the baby skin powders available in the market are nothing but a mix of chemicals.
Ayurveda goes beyond the process of herbal dusting. It recommends an ancient process of massage with powdered herbs, called udvartana. This herbal massage helps to prevents the dirt from settling on the skin along with sweat. It keeps the baby skin, especially the baby bottoms clean and safe from rashes.
Baby Bottom Care Powder contains Wild Turneric, Licorice, and Sandalwood powders. Licorice stimulates the circulation and purifies the blood. Sandalwood detoxifies the skin and the powerful antimicrobial action of turmeric helps to protect the baby skin.
Healthy teething: Dantodbhava
Yay... your baby is teething! But while teething, a baby may get a little pesky and fussy. Its gums hurt, and is may yell and bite to reduce the uncomfortable feeling! Teething may be a tough time for both newborns and parents.
Here are some teething home remedies from Ayurveda.
- Clean your hands and gently massage coconut oil on baby gums with your fingers.
- Ayurveda suggest sandalwood or licorice wood as a biting object for the teething babies. These herbs also help to sooth the discomfort and swelling in the teething gums with their medicinal properties.
- Normally, drooling will increase during teething time. Dust the baby with turmeric or licorice powder to avoid skin rashes due to drooling.
- A gentle massage with Ayurvedic baby massage oils can help to calm the baby and ensure a peaceful sleep while teething.
- Dilute 2 drops of clove oil in 2 tablespoons of water. Gently massage the baby’s gums with this mixture 3–4 times a day to relieve discomfort.
Ayurvedic baby care rituals are time tested, safe and chemical-free. Besides, they help to protect the baby from infections, enhance the sesory and motor skills and boost overall growth.
In the end, it’s important to circle back to one of the most basic elements of caring for our little precious ones—trust yourself and the power of mother nature!