Meditation is becoming increasingly popular as an effective method to de-stress. It is very important because most of the scientific studies prove that stress is the major cause of all lifestyle disorders like diabetes, hypertension, hormonal imbalance, etc.
Ayurveda says that the mind is the source of the body. Hence, mental health is the very foundation for physical health. Meditation is the simple means through which we can not only calm our minds but also preserve a perfect state of physical health.
The beauty of meditation is that you don’t need anything or anyone to practice it. In this manner, it is a very empowering practice that can be used by anyone, anywhere, and anytime.
Meditation for beginners
Meditation may appear to be a daunting task to many. Some people may find it extremely destabilizing initially, because they may feel overwhelmed when they witness the strong current of thoughts in their mind for the first time!
But, gradually with regular practice, you may get used to it and this is exactly when you can learn to manage your thoughts and emotions.
Steps to simple five min meditation
- Sit comfortably on the ground or chair.
- Set an alarm for five minutes.
- Gently close your eyes.
- Witness the thoughts in your mind. You do not have to do anything about them. They are neither right nor wrong. They are just thoughts.
- Imagine these thoughts like a stream of smoke or clouds passing through the sky.
- Feel that they are passing out of your mind, from your back, and permanently leaving you.
- Think of a divine light present in your heart that lights your entire body.
- Try to be absorbed in this feeling.
- Gently open your eyes as the alarm rings.
- Avoid rushing to work. Instead, get up gently and with purpose.